I haven’t blogged in a year! A whole year! Why? Well, allow me to introduce my baby….
It is a blast, it is hard work, it is my dream come true. And it leaves me zero time for regular blogging.
I am still battling Lupus, still homeschooling, still eating gluten, corn, and soy free, still eating plant based (though I do eat some dairy now..yeehaw!). Life is good. Life is busy. I pray that Lupus will be a thing of the past someday. Because though I do not speak of it much anymore, life is still hard. I still suffer, just a lot more quietly these days.
So why blog now? Because we attend a school where all nuts are banned from the campus. And I am committed to feeding my kiddos plant based as often as possible. And the kids have food allergies. And those things together are hard! BUT, I FOUND A RECIPE! And I need to share it!
Our family loves these. You can find thousands of iterations of this energy ball/bite on the web. But take it from me, it is super yummy, full of nourishing ingredients, and will pass MOST allergy obstacles AND kids’ taste buds. Add dried fruit, spices like cinnamon, flavoring like cocoa powder, and so much more. Oh, and don’t tell your kids it is sun butter. Just make them and tell them they are chocolate chip balls. Then after they love them, tell them the good news that they can go to school with them because they are NUT FREE!!!
Allergy Friendly Energy Bites
- 2 Cups Gluten Free Oats
- 1 1/3 Cups Coconut Flakes (unsweetened)
- 1 Cup Sun Nut Butter
- 1 Cup Ground Flaxseed
- 2 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 Cup Honey (or agave if vegan)
- 1 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips (dairy and soy free)
- Toast your coconut at 350 for 5-10 minutes, until golden brown. It burns quickly, so watch carefully!
- Stir all ingredients in a large bowl. I like to add the warm toasted coconut right on top of the sun nut butter because it helps it warms up and stir in a little easier.
- Cover and chill for 30 – 60 minutes.
- Use a small scoop or a tablespoon and ball up the mixture. It helps the process if you keep a little water near by to wet your hands.
- Store in a freezer bag in the freezer.
We eat these as the main dish in packed lunches, as snacks, as dessert, as breakfast…anytime and all the time!