I love falafel. Didn’t even know it existed before going plant based. Don’t know where I had been hiding. But once I discovered it, I fell in love. I made many, many recipes at home to a resounding thumbs down by the kids. Every single time.
It had a knickname….falawful.
A few months ago, I decided to roast the garlic before adding it in and tweaking a few other things. It worked!
And now it has a new knickname….falawesome!
Here is the recipe! If you soak the cashews in advance, then you can make the sauce a little ahead of time and it can be chilling. I also roast the garlic ahead of time for the falafel.
Greek Falafel and Vegan Tzaziki
First, make the tzaziki!
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for an hour in water.
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into large chunks.
- The juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 tsp dill
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 clove of garlic (I prefer it roasted)
Place all ingredients in a Vitamix or food processor. Blend until it is smooth. Chill before serving.
Fal-awesome Falafel (this batch makes enough for 2 dinners for us. Feel free to only make a 1/2 recipe)
- 3 cloves of garlic, roasted (stick them in 400 degree oven til they brown, 10-20 minutes)
- 1/2 cup gf oat flour (I used the vitamix to grind gf oats)
- 2 cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained.
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1 T cumin
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 T milled flax seeds, combines with 8 T water. Stir and let sit until thick.
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- To serve: brown rice tortilla, if gf, (pita, if not), tomatoes, lettuce, and kalamata olives, diced.
Combine all ingredients in a food processor (I use my Cuisinart). Mix until it is all ground and looks fairly homogenous. Taste it for seasoning. Add more spices if you think it needs it!
Scoop into little balls and flatten the balls. I use my electric skillet and cook them on med-high heat until each side is looking toasty and cooked. They are tastier if you cook them in a pan with a small amount of olive oil. Med-high, again, and for about 5 mins each side. But I make them without the oil to cut back on unnecessary calories.